UMEBOSHI AVOCADO SALAD
1 Perfectly Ripe Avocado - Not too squishy!
Lemons; The juice to keep your Avocado from
darkening and a few thin slices for garnish
Fresh Cilantro, chopped for garnish
FOR THE DRESSING
4 Tbs Olive oil
2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Dashi*
2 Tbsp Umeboshi Entube
A Dash of Soy Sauce
Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
** Please Note: This lovely vinaigrette will keep in the fridge for at least a week. You can easily double or
triple the amounts so that you have it readily on hand
* Japanese cooking stock, available at all asian markets, whole foods and on amazon
1) Place the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, dashi, Umeboshi Entube, soy, salt and pepper in a jar with a tightly fitting lid. Close the jar and shake vigorously until all ingredients are emulsified. VOILA! Vinaigrette! (Now we ask you: why buy pre-made when homemade is so easy, so much fresher and more delicious - with no mysterious ingredients like potasium sorbate or EDTA??!!)
2) Cut your avocado in half lengthwise. Now remove the pit. You can do this easily by holding the half that has the pit in the palm of one hand, and then whacking the pit with a large, sharp kitchen knife just hard enough to embed the knife in the pit. Wiggle the knife gently to loosen the pit from the flesh. There you go! Now peel each half and squeeze some lemon juice over them to keep them from discoloring.
3) To fan your avocado: With the cut sides of each half down, thinly slice your avocados lengthwise while keeping the shape of each half intact. Gently press the last slice towards the first slice so that each slice lays down on its neighbor. (Think of fanning out a deck of cards). Transfer to a serving dish by sliding your knife under the whole stack to move it as a single unit.
4) Arrange your avocados artfully in your bowl - come on, you know food tastes better when it looks pretty! Shake the dressing well and and drizzle over the avocado. Lay some very thin slices of lemon on top to garnish and finish with a light sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
So beautiful! We dare you not to be impressed with yourself!