HARISSA TOMATO JAM
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
1 Lb Roma or Plum tomatoes
3/4 Cup brown sugar
Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp Entube Harissa paste (plus another 1/2-1 tsp, as desired)
1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 Tsp ground ginger kosher salt
1) Place tomatoes in a blender and rough chop. Don't over blend Alternatively, you can do this by hand.
2) Place into a pot or skillet. Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest, harissa and spices.
3) Bring everything up to a boil over medium high heat.
4) Drop to a gentle simmer and cook down. The time you are cooking it down will depend on how juicy the tomatoes are, and how thick you would like it. Ideally, after about 1 hour, you will find that most of the water is gone and it has the consistency of preserves. If you would like it thicker, continue to cook down, stirring constantly, until it becomes stiffer. Don't let all the moisture cook out though, you will need it once it cools down.
5) Season with salt and pepper. Taste to see if you would like a touch more harissa as well! I like more, but that's me!
This makes about 2 cups, depending on how far you cook it down.
This will keep in the fridge for a good month, if you pour some olive oil over the jam in the container you are using before you close the lid. The olive oil acts as a barrier against bacteria.
Alternatively, you can freeze what you won't need right away. A jar would also make a lovely gift to a fellow tomato lover!